- 1 How do you throw away large items?
- 2 What can you recycle in Nassau County?
- 3 Can you recycle things that have touched food?
- 4 How do I dispose of electronics in Nassau County?
- 5 How do I get rid of large household items?
- 6 How do you get rid of furniture when moving?
- 7 Does Nassau County recycle cardboard?
- 8 Does Nassau County recycle glass?
- 9 How do I dispose of paint in Nassau County?
- 10 Can pizza boxes be composted?
- 11 What food waste Cannot be recycled?
- 12 Can you put hard plastic in recycling bin?
- 13 Where can I dispose of electronics in Long Island?
- 14 How do I dispose of a mattress in Nassau County?
- 15 How do I dispose of a mattress in Suffolk County?
How do you throw away large items?
How to Properly Dispose of Large Household Items
- Sell Your Unwanted Bulk Items at a Garage Sale.
- Throw Away Your Bulk Waste.
- Rent a Dumpster.
- Donate Your Unwanted Household Items.
- Recycle Your Bulk Household Items.
- Bring in a Junk Removal Company.
What can you recycle in Nassau County?
Each recycling program includes glass bottles and jars, metal cans, aluminum foil and wrap, plastics #1 and #2 and all clean paper (including newspaper, magazines, paper & hard cover books, phonebooks, junk mail, grey cardboard (shirt cardboard) and corrugated cardboard).
Can you recycle things that have touched food?
While food residue gets burned away during the recycling process for plastic, glass, and metal, the same can ‘t be said for paper. When paper is recycled, it is mixed with water to form slurry. Paper products with grease or food residue, such as pizza boxes, should not be put in the recycling bin.
How do I dispose of electronics in Nassau County?
How Can I E-Cycle? Residents served by the Town of Hempstead Department of Sanitation may arrange for a Special Pickup of electronic waste at their residence by calling (516) 378-8484.
How do I get rid of large household items?
There are several options for getting rid of a large item from home but re-using is the most environmentally friendly way.
- Donate it. If it’s in good condition donate it to charity – some collect for free.
- Local recycling centre. Take items to a recycling centre.
- Bulky waste collection service.
- How to arrange a collection.
How do you get rid of furniture when moving?
You have a few options when it comes to old furniture pick up:
- Check with your city and see if they offer free pick up for large items.
- Sell or give your old furniture away for free and have the buyer pick it up from your home.
- Donate it to a local charity.
- Haul it yourself to the dump.
Does Nassau County recycle cardboard?
Corrugated cardboard is not accepted at all Nassau County Recycle Centers. Do not place these items in the recycled paper collection bins. Approved items are FREE of charge to Nassau County Residents. No Rental Property or Foreclosure Clean-Outs.
Does Nassau County recycle glass?
Glass (clear, brown or green) bottles and jars from food and beverage products are accepted for recycling in Nassau County recycling centers and may be accepted by your contracted recycling hauler.
How do I dispose of paint in Nassau County?
The dried paint contents can be disposed of with your regular trash in a sealed plastic garbage bag. The now empty metal (tin) or plastic container can be placed in your recycling container for metal, glass and plastic items.
Can pizza boxes be composted?
Yes. You should compost the parts of the pizza box that are dirty with food. Food crumbs and greasy stains won’t be accepted at the recycling facilities. The ultimate way is to cut the dirty parts of the box into small pieces and put them in your compost bin.
What food waste Cannot be recycled?
You cannot put the following waste in your caddy: liquids. oil. liquid fat.
Can you put hard plastic in recycling bin?
No plastic hangers Avoid trying to recycle plastic hangers or large items made from hard industrial plastic.
Where can I dispose of electronics in Long Island?
The following stores also offer free electronics recycling: Home Depot, Lowes, Target and Verizon.
How do I dispose of a mattress in Nassau County?
To request a Special Pickup along with specific disposal instructions, please call (516) 378-8484 or (516) 378-4210, Option 2. Special pickup items include appliances, bulky metal items, furniture, mattresses, etc.
How do I dispose of a mattress in Suffolk County?
Call (877) 708-8329 or Book Online to schedule Suffolk mattress disposal.