- 1 Is Nassau in the northern Bahamas?
- 2 What are the northern islands of the Bahamas?
- 3 What are the three groups the Bahamas is divided into?
- 4 What should I avoid in the Bahamas?
- 5 Do you need a passport to go to Bahamas?
- 6 What is Nassau famous for?
- 7 What country owns Nassau Bahamas?
- 8 What part of Florida is closest to the Bahamas?
- 9 Are there volcanoes in Bahamas?
- 10 Is Bahamas part of USA?
- 11 What is the largest bank in the Bahamas?
- 12 What is bad about the Bahamas?
- 13 When should you not go to the Bahamas?
- 14 What is the safest part of the Bahamas?
Is Nassau in the northern Bahamas?
To the North is the island of Grand Bahama, home to the second-largest city in the country, Freeport. The island of Great Abaco is to its east. In the far south is the island of Great Inagua, the second-largest island in the country. Climate.
What are the northern islands of the Bahamas?
The Northern Islands of The Bahamas consist of Grand Bahama Island, The Berry Islands, Bimini and various smaller Cays such as Green Turtle Cay, Great Guana Cay and Cat Cay.
What are the three groups the Bahamas is divided into?
It can also be divided into three geographical areas: (i) New Providence Island, where the capital Nassau is located; (ii) Grand Bahama, where the second most populated town Freeport is located; (iii) Family Islands, which is the name given to all of the other islands and cays (USACE, 2004).
What should I avoid in the Bahamas?
Eight rookie mistakes to avoid in the Bahamas
- TRAVELLING DURING HURRICANE SEASON IN THE BAHAMAS.
- RIDING IN UNMARKED TAXIS IN THE BAHAMAS.
- TAKING A CRUISE TO THE BAHAMAS.
- STICKING TO THE ATLANTIS IN THE BAHAMAS.
- EXPECTING PUNCTUALITY ON THE ISLAND.
- TRANSACTING WITH BEACH VENDORS IN THE BAHAMAS.
- WANDERING ALONE AT NIGHT IN THE BAHAMAS.
- SKIPPING THE GROCERY STORE.
Do you need a passport to go to Bahamas?
U.S. citizens are generally required to present a valid U.S. passport when traveling to The Bahamas, as well as proof of anticipated departure from The Bahamas. U.S. travelers coming for tourism will not need a visa for travel up to 90 days. All other travelers will need a visa and/or work permit.
What is Nassau famous for?
On the northeast coast of New Providence Island, the city of Nassau is one of the most popular cruise ship ports in the Caribbean. It’s also the capital and commercial hub of The Bahamas. Nassau Harbor, protected by the tourist hot spot of Paradise Island, bustles with boat traffic.
What country owns Nassau Bahamas?
On July 10, 1973, The Bahamas became a free and sovereign country, ending 325 years of peaceful British rule. However, The Bahamas is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations and we celebrate July 10th as Bahamian Independence Day.
What part of Florida is closest to the Bahamas?
Bimini is the westernmost island of the Bahamas, situated about 80 km (53 mi) east of Miami, Florida, making it the closest point in the Bahamas to the US mainland.
Are there volcanoes in Bahamas?
10 MOUNTAINS AND VOLCANOES There are no true mountains in the archipelago, and only a few hills. The tallest point is the limestone-cliff-sided Mount Alvernia on Cat Island (63 meters /206 feet), which once hosted a monastery on its summit.
Is Bahamas part of USA?
Formerly a British colony, The Bahamas became an independent country within the Commonwealth in 1973.
What is the largest bank in the Bahamas?
In 2000, the success of the Bank was recognized in the tremendously over-subscribed Initial Public Offering IPO for Commonwealth Bank common shares. This has resulted in the Bank being the largest most successful Bahamian public company.
What is bad about the Bahamas?
While safety has improved in the Bahamas, there is still violent crime, mainly in Nassau and the island of Grand Bahama, which includes the city of Freeport. Armed robberies, burglaries, sexual assault, and other violent crimes take place, along with purse snatchings.
When should you not go to the Bahamas?
Hurricane season, from June 1 until Nov. 30, is a time many travelers avoid the Bahamas. Like in the United States, the months of August, September and October present the highest risk for hurricane activity.
What is the safest part of the Bahamas?
Safest Islands in the Bahamas
- The Berry Islands.
- Cat Island.
- Crooked Island.
- The Exumas.
- Harbour Island.
- Long Island.
- San Salvador.